Sections

Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement
Students are ushered back to New Prague Middle School in New Prague, Minn., Wednesday, March 20, 2013 after the all clear was issued following a scare, after authorities responded to a 911 call concerning an “active shooter” at the middle school, but a staff member later said everyone is safe and there is no danger inside the building. (AP Photo/The Star Tribune, Brian Peterson)

12-year-old boy arrested in Minn. school lockdown

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
news Bemidji, 56619
Bemidji Pioneer
(218) 333-9819 customer support
Bemidji Minnesota P.O. Box 455 56619

NEW PRAGUE, Minn. (AP) — Authorities in Minnesota have arrested a 12-year-old boy in what they say was a prank call that prompted a school lockdown.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The middle school in New Prague, a small town about 45 miles southwest of Minneapolis, was locked down after the 911 call came in about 8 a.m. Wednesday.

Scott County Sheriff Kevin Studnicka says the caller claimed there was a person armed with an AK-47 in a school building, and that a few people had been shot.

New Prague Police Chief Mark Vosejpka (voh-SAYP'-kuh) says police determined there was no threat within about half an hour, and quickly zeroed in on the 12-year-old. He didn't say what led authorities to the boy.

The school canceled classes for the rest of the day but students are expected to return Thursday.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

Advertisement
Associated Press
Advertisement
Advertisement
randomness